I’ve been an entrepreneur since I was 22. Before that, I had a couple part-time stints and a handful of officially employed situations. I didn’t love any of them. Why? Because personal responsibility and freedom are so important to me. These values are the fabric of my world.
I believe 98% of our destinies are controlled by us. The other 2% are freak accidents or things that just happen. So if you’ve got 98% control over where you end up, why let someone else drive the car?
I have many friends who work for companies and they often ask, “Isn’t it scary working for yourself”? And I say “not any scarier than working for someone else”.
Since the recession came knocking on our doors a couple years ago, the traditional business model looks very different. Over 600,000 small businesses are formed by entrepreneurs every year in the US. And over 40% of all workers, even in big companies, are contract workers which means they are self-employed too.
Being an entrepreneur is not always an easy journey, but then again is working for a big company a cake-walk?
Are you ready to take the plunge? Start by answering these questions.
- Do you hate your boss and many of your peers?
- Do you despise what you do for a living?
- Do you feel like time is slipping away?
- Do you work better in your PJ’s?
- Don’t believe you earn what you are worth?
- Do you enjoy going to movies in the middle of day?
Did you answer yes to at least three of these?
Ok, now here is the real test.
- Is self-responsibility part of your core belief system?
- Can you practice self-discipline?
- Can you shake off rejection and get back on track to reach your goals?
- Are you willing to make sacrifices in the short-term for long-term fruit?
- Do you respect Virgin’s Richard Branson, Apple’s Steve Jobs and Madonna for their business success?
Answer yes to at least three of these?
I believe I hear the entrepreneurial phone ringing.
Now, take the next step to controlling your destiny. I’ve written a Ta-do list, called Shifting gears, from employee to entrepreneur. This simple guide will walk you through the process of career transformation. I’ve used this formula on many first-time entrepreneurs with great success and many of the Ta-dos are items I follow daily. Need more? If you have any questions, shoot me an email.
I like your blog, very nice.