Did you know, that as of this month, there are over 156 million public blogs in existence? And with that type of competition growing everyday, is the effort worth the prize? What makes a blog a rewarding a home run? and are you still wondering how to attract more visitors to your blog?
We are too.
I did some research regarding this matter and there’s a lot of opinion on the subject. Some say sell advertising, some say to blog every day, some say to not write more than 200 words so the audience doesn’t get bored, others suggest tightly niche your content and others say wake up the dead with extreme controversy.
I do agree with them all, most importantly I believe that businesses need to write stuff that people actually want to read!
Before you start writing, ask yourself who the target audience is and what the do they really care about. Also ask your self these questions:
- Why do you write your blog? To make money, to serve as marketing tool?
- Have you clearly identified 3 other highly read blogs in your topic?
- Can you see their magic formula? Is meaningful content – are they a rock star, have a book and/or a national expert?
- How is traffic being driven to their site? This takes some digging, but it’s important.
- Does your niche topic have a big enough audience to tap?
- Have you looked at Google analytics to see what you have written in the past that really drew readers?
- Does your content provide pragmatic advice? Is the writing original and thought provoking, Is it entertaining, or is it just sucking up your time and you should be doing something else?
If you answered NO to any of these questions, stop writing, talk a walk, read a book and start again.
Be useful. Be unique. Be engaging.
How do these blogs do it?
HuffingtonPost – 35,000,000 estimated unique monthly visitors.
TMZ – 17,000,000 estimated unique monthly visitors.
engadget – 11,500,000 estimated unique monthly visitors.
For more blogging tips, view: 10-steps to making writing your blog easier.